Re: [GSOC 2022]: Integrate FreeType with alternative rendering engines

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [GSOC 2022]: Integrate FreeType with alternative rendering engines
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 22:05:03 -0400

On Tue, Apr 12, 2022 at 1:09 PM Anurag Thakur
<anurag105csec21@bpitindia.edu.in> wrote:

> Having briefly studied the renderers mentioned at FreeType’s GSOC page, I
> believe the best course of action would be to first properly integrate a
> font-rs based renderer in FreeType
>
> and then working on optimizing the implementation by studying the code of
> font-go and fontdue.

Hi Anurag,

To be honest, I do not know whether the alternative renderers should
be a part of FreeType, or a separate project, or a part of the
respective source projects. The module interface is pretty stable and
should not be a maintenance burden in either case. It also depends on
the performance and size of the modules, or if you are actually
planning to do them all, not this summer but eventually. I would
however ask that you put something in your proposal. Do you actually
plan to port the code to the modules or just link? The summer is
short. Even if you succeed with one of them to the point of release
quality, it is good.

Best,
Alexei