Re: can't use meson for 'freetype-demos'

From: Charlie Jiang
Subject: Re: can't use meson for 'freetype-demos'
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 00:25:52 +0800

Hi Werner,

Thanks for the feedback.

This is up to you.  Do what you want to do first :-)
I'm currently working on non-outline glyphs support. I'll post the roadmap later on the GitLab Issue (after taking consideration of points mentioned in your feedback).
I suddenly realized that we even don't need to use two different
sub-tab for "All Glyphs" and "Text String" rendering.  What about
having two parallel options:

- Render Mode: Normal, Fancy, Stroked, Waterfall (only available for
   text string)
- Render Source: All Glyphs/CharMap, Text String, Repeated Text
   String

And "Rotation" feature will be available for all modes.
Sounds good.  Honestly, I'm lacking fantasy how to present the glyphs
in the best way – I'm really bad at GUI design...
Good to hear, will give it a try.
Some things I noticed, in random order, not necessarily directly
related to your current workings :-)  I will check your code later.

* I use a dark KDE theme; `ftinspect` looks as shown in the attached
   image.  As you can see, the selected colours are suboptimal.  I
   think that a 'dark' theme must be ignored for the grid background.
Err... Will look into this further.
* It would be nice, however, to have an 'invert' option or radio
   button to invert the colours: black background, white pixels, etc.
Got it, but may be not trivial or clean to implement. I will list it as a further plan.
Singular Grid View:

* I very much dislike the big 'help' screen explaining the scroll
   functionality.  Instead, based on KDE's 'dolphin' file manager, I
   suggest a small '?' button at the top right (directly left of the
   'minimize' and 'maximize' window icons); if pressed, the cursor
   changes to a cursor with a question mark, and the user can then
   click on interesting objects to get contextual help.  Of course, a
   similar, different solution would be fine, too.
I see. You mean what's called "What's this" button on Windows I assume, but it had been phased out long before, in Windows Vista. And the Qt solution for this is non-trivial on Windows (pretty easy on Linux though). Need to come up with a better approach later IMHO.
* Ctrl+Scroll and Shift+Scroll doesn't work – I assume this isn't
   implemented yet?
They're factually implemented (as shown in the GIF). I will give it a test once I prepared a desktop Ubuntu environment. I would be glad if you could place some breakpoints around `src/ftinspect/rendering/glyphcontinuous.cpp:71` and have a look at the value of `numSteps` and `event->modifiers()`, so I can firstly have a idea about the bug.
* I suggest to make 'Ctrl-+' and Ctrl--' work for increasing and
   decreasing the font size, respectively, and 'Ctrl-0' for resetting
   to a default size.  Most people using a recent browser are expecting
   this, I guess.  Maybe Ctrl-Shift-[-+] can then do zoom?  Or vice
   versa?
Got it.
* A radio button 'Show Grid', which is 'on' by default, would be quite
   valuable to let the user view the glyph by itself.
Got it, and it will be placed besides other check boxes like "Show Bitmap".
* (Maybe a KDE thing, I don't know the conventions used on Windows):
   Right now, using the arrow keys change the grid viewport in
   relatively small steps, and Ctrl/Alt have no influence.  What about
   making Ctrl/Alt plus arrow keys change that?  For example, under KDE
   I can move a window pixel-wise by adding the Ctrl key, and adding
   the Alt key yields much larger steps than the arrow keys without a
   modifier.
I have no idea about this behaviour, but it's doable anyway. Will put it onto the list with a lower priority.
Continuous View:

* I think the '(for Fancy)' and '(for Stroked)' text strings should be
   removed.  This takes a lot of precious horizontal space, and greying
   out is sufficient IMHO.
Got it.
* What about a 'zooming' feature, i.e., displaying the pixels twice,
   thrice, etc., as big as normal?
I didn't include this feature since `ftview` tool doesn't have it either.
* I suggest to make 'Ctrl-+' and Ctrl--' work for increasing and
   decreasing the font size, respectively, and 'Ctrl-0' for resetting
   to a default size.  Most people using a recent browser are expecting
   this, I guess.  Maybe Ctrl-Shift-[-+] can then do zoom?  Or vice
   versa?
OK.
* I think it would be nice if a user could click onto a glyph to get
   more info: glyph name, character code, glyph index, glyph metrics
   (in font units, in pixels, in points), the dimensions of the
   displayed bitmap, etc.  Probably not a popup window but making the
   continuous view windows a bit smaller horizontally.
Uh-oh,
* What exactly does the 'Count:' field mean?  It isn't obvious.
   Perhaps a better name is needed.
It means the numbers of glyph being rendered onto the canvas, and the name is adopt from `ftview` tool. As of a better name, what about "Viewport Glyph Count" or "Visible Count"?
* I suggest a radio button 'compact mode', which make `ftinspect` show
   all glyphs in the current cmap order but omitting unassigned slots.

Got it, but it may not gain so much priority.

Cheers,
Charlie