Re: Commit 4f3a8eba3a doesn't compile

From: Charlie Jiang
Subject: Re: Commit 4f3a8eba3a doesn't compile
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 11:43:43 +0800

[please write to freetype-devel by default]
Indeed, I selected the wrong reply command...
Yes, please remove it.  IMHO, it doesn't make sense to have this
feature in waterfall mode.

Two ideas:

* What about showing the pixel (or point) size at the beginning of the
   waterfall?  Ideally, the font itself should be used for displaying
   this, however, chances are very high that the font in question
   doesn't contain proper glyphs for it, or that the font is cheating
   (this can happen for very old fonts), displaying completely
   different glyphs for the given character codes.  So you should use a
   font that actually has the necessary glyphs :-)
My idea is to use Qt's text drawing functionalities for this, because I don't want to add more complexity to the `StringRenderer` class.
* What about providing control for the waterfall's start, stop, and
   increment values?  For the default values, I think it doesn't make
   sense to have lines for px < 4 or 5...

Well... `ftstring` has those value calculated programatically, and I directly copy-pasted that part. Indeed, we need to increase the initial value a bit. If those control options are needed, we may need to find a place to hold those options in the GUI (maybe better a separate dialog).

* Assuming that you don't intend to implement a waterfall in vertical
   mode, the 'Vertical' checkbox should be greyed out if the
   'Waterfall' checkbox is set.
Indeed.

Cheers,
Charlie Jiang