Free type "invalid glyphs"

From: Danny Forrest
Subject: Free type "invalid glyphs"
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 11:00:50 +0000

Hey, I have currently begun the implementation of freetype for my job but come across the issue of unnecessary characters.

For various fonts it will present the rectangle for a glyph I assume it couldn't determine, but there are no errors and even the data is still filled in.

Is there a way I can skip these characters without potentially having a map of all fonts and the dimensions a rectangle would present (which is still not desirable as some characters may actually meet those dimensions)?
Thanks