Re: Future of autotools

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: Future of autotools
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 15:16:12 +0000 (UTC)

On Friday, 14 July 2023 at 03:53:10 GMT+8, Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> wrote:

> Well, this is not how Meson support is currently set up in
`freetype-demos`: in `subprojects/freetype.wrap`, HEAD of FreeType's
> git repository is used.  This is absolutely necessary while developing
> since we regularly use new, not-yet-published features of FreeType in
> the demo programs.

> I don't mind if someone is going to modify the Meson stuff to move
> this requirement to an easy-to-use equivalent to `make devel`.  Then a
> standard Meson build could be against a system-installed FreeType

Okay, that's a fair point - features simultaneously getting added in both freetype2 and tested in freetype2-demos.

I probably will propose identifying some of the demos that don't (currently) needs private headers to have a "build-against-system" option. I mean cosmetic things like adding a toggle from one tool to another shouldn't need dev freetype.

Hin-Tak