Re: Strange hinting of precomposed character

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Strange hinting of precomposed character
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 17:39:25 +0000 (UTC)

> I’ve attached an interesting hinting problem seen ‘in the wild’.
> [...]  I would expect that, if the diacritic is to be hinted as a
> horizontal bar, that would occur only at the smallest sizes, and
> would equally affect the combining diacritic too.

The Noto fonts use `ttfautohint` for automatic hinting, AFAIK.  The
jump between a horizontal bar and a proper wiggle in the precomposed
character is due to vertical rounding of 'important' points of the
tilde to some discrete values, and this rounding depends heavily on
the PPEM value.  The combining diacritic, on the other hand, doesn't
receive any hints at all.

If Craig's modifications to the auto-hinter code become mature it
would be very helpful if they got added to `ttfautohint`, too
(however, this wouldn't be a trivial thing to do, unfortunately).