Re: Strange hinting of precomposed character

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: Strange hinting of precomposed character
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 17:51:26 +0000 (UTC)

On Sunday, 16 July 2023 at 07:54:11 BST, Brad Neimann <brad.neimann@hotmail.com> wrote:

> ...Can anyone explain what’s
> happening here? I would expect that, if the diacritic is to be hinted as
> a horizontal bar, that would occur only at the smallest sizes, and would
> equally affect the combining diacritic too.

Somebody more knowledgeable can correct me, but I think combining diacritics happens with:

Outline1 -> hinted bitmap1
Outline2 -> hinted bitmap2

Bitmap output = hinted bitmap1 + hinted bitmap2 positioned at grid-fitted (ie another "hinting") offsets

(Actually, I think it happens in the opposite order: the grid-fitted offsets are calculated first)

compared to a single glyph with two sets of outlines, where the outlines are hinted together.