Re: [ft] Multiple Masters In A TTF File?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Multiple Masters In A TTF File?
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 08:26:43 +0100 (CET)

> Hunting around for Multiple Master fonts, I came across the name
> “ImpossibleMM”, which in turn led me to this page
> <http://www.fontspace.com/apostrophic-lab?p=2>, which has this one
> and a whole bunch of others.
>
> So I downloaded ImpossibleMM.zip, but the files are in .ttf format,
> unlike the others I have found elsewhere in .pfb format. And trying
> to get info from all the .ttf files in this archive using
> FT_Get_Multi_Master returns nothing, unlike those .pfb ones where it
> did work.
>
> Any suggestions on what I should try?

On the above web link, you can find names like

  Impossible - 0 minus 30
  Impossible
  Impossible - 0 plus 30

which exactly shows what those fonts are, namely instances extracted
from the original MM fonts (using the axis values -30, 0, and 30,
respectively) then converted to TTF.  Those fonts are *not* MM fonts
any more.

A program to extract MM instances is `mmpfb', to name an example,
available from

  http://www.lcdf.org/type/

    Werner