Re: [Fsfe-uk] Go OGo Go!

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Go OGo Go!
Date: 12 Jul 2003 10:18:44 +0100

On Sat, 2003-07-12 at 09:50, Ramanan Selvaratnam wrote:
> It looks like some excellent news .....
> <http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?msgId=746582&listName=announce>
> "The OGo software provides document sharing capabilities for
> OpenOffice.org documents and will enable users of MS Outlook
> (97/2000/XP), Ximian Evolution, Mozilla Calendar, OOo Glow
> (OpenOffice.org Groupware Project's client product), Apple's iCal and
> other standards-based groupware clients to collaborate."

I'm afraid I wouldn't be so positive - Outlook and Evolution can only be
connected into it with a proprietary plugin (hopefully a free plugin
will be developed for Evo, it could be possible).

I would suspect that W32 groupware software is still very much further
advanced than any free software, and OGo has taken away some of the
thunder (IMHO) from the Kolab software from the Kroupware project -
which basically solves the same problems as OGo but in a more integrated
manner, and allows a completely free solution (Kolab + KMail) on the
desktop, whereas OGo doesn't (only via a browser atm, unless I've
misunderstood something).

Of course, any new free software project is always to be welcomed, but I
just don't think this is quite as ground-breaking as is being hyped and
I don't think moves us any further forward :/

Cheers,

Alex.