Re: [Fsfe-uk] New committee proposal

From: Andrew Savory
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] New committee proposal
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:02:53 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Marc Eberhard wrote:

> Dear AFFS Members,
>
> we have received three applications for our vacant posts in the committee.
> Our constitution says, that we only have to hold formal elections, if the
> number of applicants exceeds the number of posts available. As this is not
> the case, we would like to accept the applicants named below as new
> committee members unless someone of you raises concerns about either a
> candidate or the process itself.
>
> -------------------------------- snip --------------------------------
>
> Adam Bower <address@hidden>
> -----------------------------------
> Ian Lynch <address@hidden>
> -----------------------------------
> Andrew Savory <address@hidden>
> ------------------------------------

Just to keep you all up-to-date on what's going on: on 13th, Marc emailed
the three of us with a number of issues asking for our opinion (netiquette
dictates that I not post private email contents here; if you want to know,
speak out and perhaps Marc will make the details public). All three of us
replied. My responses were a little more controversial perhaps - I
suggested a more pragmatic, softly-softly (less hard-line) approach to
Free Software advocacy. I think there's room for several different
approaches in AFFS.

Unfortunately, the committee received one email from a member raising
concerns about me. I'm not aware of who it was or what the concerns were,
and have not been given the opportunity to respond to them.

I have since been advised by the committee that they will not be asking me
to join the committee at this time.

I've had some useful discussions with Alex (who I thank for being the only
committee member apparently willing to enter into any dialogue on the
"election") about how AFFS should conduct itself in future so that future
elections are conducted in a fair and open manner.

I've also talked with Alex about my concerns in how the process and our
discussions were conducted "behind the scenes", rather than in the public
forum of this list. Hopefully this will change in the future, but as I'm
not on the committee to constantly challenge them on this, it may not!

I assume that Ian and Adam are now (or will shortly be) members of the
AFFS committee. I wish them the best of luck with what will surely be a
challenging post.

Andrew.

- --
Andrew Savory                                Email: address@hidden