Re: [Fsfe-uk] Increasing Membership

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Increasing Membership
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:11:34 +0100

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 12:55:43PM +0100, Neil Darlow wrote:
> > One benefit from this is that AFFS will get more funds and more members,
> > and even more exposure as it will be directly mentioned in invoices, etc
> > (demanding money greatly focuses the mind!).
>
> Again, I don't believe that the AFFS would agree with having memberships
> forced on people through an invoice for services rendered. I also doubt that
> any such automatically billed membership would be renewed by a large
> number of your customers.

We had a kind of similar discussion around pricing for AFFSAC - since we
essentially forced membership on attendees.

In a way, I can see what Andrew is proposing is kind of marketing in a
wierd way - he's kind of giving AFFS leads. Potential conversions. This
is possibly a crude analysis, but I think in a ways it's about right.

I guess you could also see it as a 10UKP donation - the effect is possibly
the same, because if you view them as leads rather than members, we are
also going to send them info.

I think it's worth discussing, anyway. I'm interested in what people think
of it - although I pretty much agree it's not necessarily likely that they
would renew.

Cheers,

Alex.