Re: [Fsfe-uk] Increasing Membership

From: ian
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Increasing Membership
Date: 25 Jul 2003 18:19:38 +0100

On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 16:43, Andrew Savory wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Martin WHEELER wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Andrew Savory wrote:
> >
> > > Well, that's the challenge for the AFFS - once they have members, how do
> > > they retain them?
> >
> > Certainly NOT by continuing the behaviour recently exposed on this list.
> >
> > Life is too short to be spent deeply embroiled in other people's
> > personal vendettas.
>
> In defence of the committee and recent occurrences - I don't think there's
> anything to suggest that the member that mentioned reservations against me
> was motivated by personal vendetta. I know that I can sometimes have an
> abrasive style - see the recent 0,1,2,3 thread for example - perhaps they
> felt this or some other thing made me unfit for the job.

I think the jury is out on that one at the moment. I agree that this has
been a very rational discussion and that's the way to keep it.

> I think as far as the election debate goes, we've kept things civilised
> and free of infighting. Just healthy discussion on what happened and how
> to avoid it in future.

I would say that if anything, the way Andrew has approached this speaks
volumes for his inclusion. However, I think that we need to work out the
procedures to resolve this for the future. Look at this as a useful
development process in moving the AFFs on. If we can't survive a few
issues like this and keep everyone on-side, we aren't going to get very
far.

--
ian <address@hidden>