Re: [Fsfe-uk] Patenting software in the UK article

From: Ramanan Selvaratnam
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Patenting software in the UK article
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 06:32:16 +0100

Hi all,

I bumped into this one ...with some insight into some patent lawyers who talk about defensive protection and offensive strategy in emerging technologies!!! It applies to a country where software patents are legal.

http://www.iploft.com/articles.htm

The last on the list
http://www.iploft.com/KC-Proteo.pdf

makes some very interesting reading. I will keep this as short as I can and just say that I will be happy to answer any technical questions on the proteomics field to the best of my ability. If the needs be I am willing to chase up more informed advice.

What will be relevant to us is 4 of 7 where software is mentioned concisely but with a lot of holes if one were to focus exclusively on software... 'Software patents for structure prediction or 3-D visualization tools are similar to computer software patents.'
What on earth is this???

'prediction relies on sophisticated search algorithms,
which can be patented in combination with the
database that stores protein information. '
Do they mean the public domain Protein Data Bank (pdb) or equivalents?
Certainly private databases can/do exist but what about the algorithms of nature which would surely restrict the possible software algorithms?
(The analogy will be  not a minefield but an narrow path mined heavily)

Also the analysis of the european stage on page 3 is interesting.

'While European spending on proteomics research lags behind the
U.S., several publicly funded research programs have
recently been launched in accordance with the Sixth
Framework Programme (FP6) of the European
Commission, which has devoted an overall budget of
approximately $18 billion to the advancement of the
European research community, of which proteomics
research is a recent addition.[15] '

I am not totally sure as to how public funded projects will be affected by software patents but it is clear that a freely distributable software model is the one that will involve more of the public in this often alienated field.

There is mention of EPO later on w.r.t ethics and other factors that highlight the growing gulf in patent laws as it applies to biotechnology. Who will gurantee that the proposed software patents will not be used as the levelling factor to harmonize the transatlantic patent discrepencies.

There could be material here to proove decisively that

-- software patents are a special case and interact with varied fields in such complex manners that patent lawyers will ride on top of the pervasiveness of software and become *the* intermediaries for technology growth.

-- in bioinformatics/proteomics it will entangle software with ethical issues and the well established biotechnology industry. Anyone should know that a laboratory based applied biologist should/need not be dependent on weak links like lawyers ( or legal sharks to be precise) to interact with the theoretical/computational/statistical biology aspects.

IMHO the argument on this should take a view along the lines that we should not facilitate dodgy, criminal software companies to interfere with drug development and the other future needs that are becoming all so important (because software patents allowed it).

Let experts in biotechnology decide what is good for biotechnology w.r.t IP as the linked article puts it. Leave software be.

Also the demand for a definition of 'Technical Effect' should humbly ask for an inclusive model (everywhere software is/might be used) than the usual rhetoric about some online bookshop.

This is all about the interation between software and a field that is heavily dependent on software (proteomics/bioinformatics in this case). If we could somehow clearly draw the boundaries between software and sand such fields, the anti-software patents campaign should make more sense to more people.

The software infrastucture related issues for these industries (GRID software etc.) are a seperate matter.

For a basic background Wikipedia definitions of 'proteomics' and 'pdb' might proove helpful.

Anyone know where I can look up citation [15] and related strategies as above?

Am I going off in a tangent here?

Best wishes,

Ramanan

Robert (Jamie) Munro wrote:
A friend pointed me to an article about the current state of software
patenting in UK law. It's written by a British patent attorney, trying to
get business writing patents for people, but it does make interesting
reading.
http://www.fhs.co.uk/software.htm

I liked this line:
"... lack of clarity inherent in the Technical Effect test means that grant
of a Patent is more likely to be decided by the inventiveness of the
attorney rather than the inventiveness of the idea. "

Robert Munro