Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS publicity wing [was Re: BBC Article.....]

From: Ramanan Selvaratnam
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS publicity wing [was Re: BBC Article.....]
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 01:16:19 +0100

Richard Smedley wrote:
On Sun, 2003-08-31 at 15:53, Ramanan Selvaratnam wrote:

I know everyone is busy but could not an AFFS publicity wing be formed to handle such incidents? Commitment to FS, shrewed thinking and cool
... and good command of english and spelling      ^^  :-)

heads is what is needed.

Anybody willing to help the committee with publicity is

Publicity for AFFS alone or for FS to counter the growing misrepresentation and marginilization of the concepts of FS?

Maybe publicity is not the correct word as fending off FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) might take over most of our time. FUD can only be handled with careful tactics instead of reacting back with anger.

The first three aims itself as stated in the constitution cover a lot of ground as to the direction we could take but it will be nice if we could team up with related interests (CDR,campaigns against industrialised media types) and feed into something like the tech sections of news.google/uk.
<http://news.google.com/news/en/uk/technology.html>

BTW, picked this up from there ...interesting; no GNU in front of Linux :-)
<http://asia.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=3384091>

If grand plans like the above will slow us down we could atleast try and structure around such a framework.

most welcome - volunteers please take one step forward :-)

Academic commitments should keep me busy till the end of Sept. but I am available straight away for any immediate tasks like anti-swpat publicity.

Since Ciaran's information last Friday there hasn't been much out there visible for all to see and understand. Although it is a small step, IMHO the recent demos and the postponment were significant developments in geek campaigns.

Even the FFII website has very minimal info and it seems difficult to find.

<http://swpat.ffii.org/news/03/demo0827/index.en.html>

Register ran a good anti-swpat story on it and thats the end of it :-(

Some vital momentum may be lost if we do not act on news when it is 'hot'.

All the best,

Ramanan