[Fsfe-uk] EU Parliament Votes for Real Limits on Patentability

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] EU Parliament Votes for Real Limits on Patentability
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 17:24:56 +0100

FFII have a positive spin on the vote:

http://swpat.ffii.org/news/03/plen0923/index.en.html

Looks like this might be as good as it gets in terms of directives;
although there is a worry that the Governments might reject the
amendments from the looks of it.

It seems it has to go before the 15 member states before it gets a
second reading in Parliament, if I understand the process (please
someone correct me if wrong), so they get a chance to scupper the deal.
They have threatened to do that, but I would think it would be a bit
last resort...

Cheers,

Alex.