geiser-users

Re: [Geiser-users] Possible key binding optimization

From: Mark Harig
Subject: Re: [Geiser-users] Possible key binding optimization
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 13:46:37 -0500

> > Does C-c C-d C-i (bound to `geiser-doc-look-up-manual') have some
> > extra capability beyond C-h S (bound to `info-lookup-symbol')?
>
> Yes. C-c C-d C-i is equivalent to a info manual lookup only for Guile.
> In Racket, the command implementation is totally different. The same
> will happen when/if Geiser supports other Scheme implementations not
> offering texinfo manuals.

Ah, of course.  That's a very good reason.  It's unfortunate that
Racket does not provide Info files or .texinfo or .tex (TeX) files,
but that can't be helped.

I would still like to recommend the behavior of `info-lookup-symbol'
for `geiser-doc-look-up-manual'.  My strong preference when looking up
documentation is for point to remain where it is in the code while
displaying the documentation in a separate (and, if needed, new)
window.  With Geiser's behavior, I'll start two windows, one with code
and one with documentation, but when I invoke
`geiser-doc-look-up-manual', I then have two windows with
documentation and none with code.  Having both code and documentation
available at the same time is useful because it lets me examine both
without having to switch back and forth.

Of course, if you decide to stay with your current approach, I don't
object since I have a solution available to me, and I can add a
wrapper if I decide to add the "no-prompt" option that C-c C-d C-i
provides.