geiser-users

Re: [Geiser-users] Corrections for Geiser/doc/repl.texi

From: Mark Harig
Subject: Re: [Geiser-users] Corrections for Geiser/doc/repl.texi
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 13:57:56 -0500

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/450964/per-occurrence-basis

> That is, they have a topic called "per-occurrence basis" (for some
> reason), and they hyphenated to compound modifier.

You had already convinced me, but now there's no possible discussion
:)
Thanks for the pointer!

I had not entirely convinced myself.  My initial reading of the text
was that I was confused by what was meant by "a per REPL basis."
Because I didn't initially understand it, I wanted some clarification,
which the hyphenated term provided.  However, a lot of language is not
determined by written rules, but by "common usage," and there are many
instances of people writing "a per [item] basis" without a hyphen.
Then I prefer to go along with what professional writers use -- the
people who are paid primarily to communicate well, as opposed to
people who are simply trying to get something written, while they are
paid to do something else.

--
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they
are