geiser-users

[Geiser-users] Racket-git breaks requiring racket/slideshow

From: Michael Wilber
Subject: [Geiser-users] Racket-git breaks requiring racket/slideshow
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 12:13:49 -0600

Hey, geiser users!

So in racket from git and latest geiser from git, when I require
slideshow/pict from geiser (or indirectly by enter!-ing a file that
requires slideshow/pict), it fails:

Welcome to Racket v5.3.0.14.
racket@> (require slideshow/pict)
define-values: assignment disallowed;
 cannot re-define a constant
  constant: invoke-unit/core
  in module: "/home/michael/racket/collects/racket/unit.rkt"
  errortrace...:
   /home/michael/.emacs.d/vendor/geiser/scheme/racket/geiser/enter.rkt:146:10:
(eval code)
racket@>

This also happens to geiser 0.1.4 which makes me think it's unrelated to
the recent REPL image changes.

It looks like Racket commit 403aaac is what broke things (checking this
out and installing racket fails, checking out HEAD^ and trying again
lets me import slideshow/pict without issues). This doesn't happen with
v5.3.

Also, commenting out all the parameterizations for
current-load/use-compiled from scheme/racket/geiser/enter.rkt also makes
(require slideshow/pict) work correctly.

A general question: Why does geiser use its own
current-load/use-compiled handler instead of using Racket's enter!
functionality? There must be some reason to have that, but it's hard to
tell since the two copies of enter.rkt have diverged so much.