geiser-users

Re: [Geiser-users] Driving the disassembler from geiser a la slime

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: [Geiser-users] Driving the disassembler from geiser a la slime
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 18:34:15 +0100

Hi Richard,

On Tue, Nov 11 2014, Richard Loveland wrote:

> Hey Schemers,
>
> I've hacked together a little proof of concept which will allow me to
> disassemble arbitrary regions of scsh/S48 code via geiser and pop up the
> output in a temp buffer a la SLIME.
>
> It has a number of issues that make it the wrong way to do this, but I
> think such functionality could be included the "right way" in geiser,
> perhaps via the 'Geiser debug' section of the code.
>
> More info here for those interested:
>
> http://logicgrimoire.wordpress.com/2014/11/09/driving-the-scsh-disassembler-from-geiser/
>
> Do people think this feature could be a useful addition to geiser
> proper?  If there is interest I might try to work on it.

Indeed, i think it'd be a nice feature for geiser proper.  As you
mention, the dissasembly functionality is even extensible to other
implementations such as Guile.

I think your diagnosis and proposed solutions are on the right track,
and i'm happy to help to either help or review any patch you feel like
submitting (github PRs, for instance), in case you think we should
integrate them in "core geiser".

By the way, what are your thoughts on integrating geiser-scsh in geiser?
Or is geiser-scsh an "add-on" that one could install alongside the other
implementations? If so, you could also maintain it as a separate
package, but in that case it'd be very nice if it were available via an
ELPA repo such as MELPA.

Cheers,
jao
--
Dealing with failure is easy: Work hard to improve. Success is also
easy to handle: You've solved the wrong problem. Work hard to improve.