getfem compilation problems on mac os catalina

From: Esin B Sozer
Subject: getfem compilation problems on mac os catalina
Date: Thu, 6 May 2021 16:42:44 -0400

Hello,

I have been trying to compile getfem 5.4.1 for a week now and I am out of ideas what to do, having read everything I can in the documentation and email list. I am a beginner in the command line usage and other developer environments. My experience for many years have been using MATLAB for any coding needs, so I know the problem I face must be very basic.

I used homebrew to update my g++ compiler to the latest version (located at /usr/local/bin/) and went through the steps of installing m4, automake,libtool, and python tools. I also did alias g++ g++-10. This is what I get when I run ./configure in the source file directory:

"checking whether the compiler recognizes the partial specialization syntax... yes

you are compiling GetFEM on a x86_64-apple-darwin19.6.0

Configured with: --prefix=/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr --with-gxx-include-dir=/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.15.sdk/usr/include/c++/4.2.1

Using the GNU g++ compiler version

checking whether g++ accepts -O3... no

checking whether g++ accepts -fmessage-length=0... no

checking whether g++ accepts -fvisibility-inlines-hidden... no

checking whether g++ accepts -ftemplate-depth-100... no

checking whether g++ accepts -std=c++14... no

checking whether g++ accepts -std=c++0x... no

configure: error: g++ do not support option -std=c++14. Update g++ to at least release 4.9"

It looks like there is some prefix configuration I get I don't know how to modify, but I am not sure if that is the problem.

I appreciate any help!!

Thank  you

Esin