Re: [Gm2] Shell games

From: Michel De Rosa
Subject: Re: [Gm2] Shell games
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 17:19:34 -0500

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 13:37:22 -0500
Michael Lambert <address@hidden> wrote:

> John,
>
> I _thought_ I had been able to work around all the instances by saying
>
>       env SHELL=/bin/bash ./configure ...
>
> and
>
>       make SHELL=/bin/bash ...
>
> Michael
>
> On 10 Nov 2008, at 13:30, John O Goyo wrote:
>
> > I have encountered a new problem on Solaris 10 and Ubuntu 8.04.
> >
> > In both cases, various scripts in gm2 are tagged to run under /bin/
> > sh, which
> > in Solaris and Ubuntu is not bash but the posix shell.  (One
> > difference is
> > that functions in the latter are not defined with the keyword
> > "function".)
> > Until very recently, this was not a problem, but now the scripts
> > on said
> > systems are explicitly run through /bin/sh and not /bin/bash
> > (despite my
> > setting of SHELL).
> >
> > Has anyone else seen this?
> >
> > john

Back when I ran FreeBSD, I used to do the following, to compile gm2:

  env CONFIG_SHELL=/usr/local/bin/bash CC=gcc32 ../gcc-version/configure
      --with-system-zlib --disable-nls --enable-languages=c,c++,gm2
      --program-prefix=m2 --host=i386-gm2bld-freebsd5.3

The important bit here, for this issue, is the CONFIG_SHELL
environment var, which tells configure that this is the shell we want
to use for building purposes.  There was then no need to again specify
which shell to use when invoking make..

Hopefully this isn't changed since then (that was a few years ago).

Ciao!
Michel.