[Gm2] do I need separate libfiles for every module?

From: Martin Kalbfuß
Subject: [Gm2] do I need separate libfiles for every module?
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 05:14:12 +0100

Hi,

I have the following lines:

gm2 -c test.mod -I../def
gm2 test.mod -L../src/.libs -lsk -lSDL

The first line works like I would expect it.
But the second line does not.

gm2 says:

cannot find SKVideo.o or SKVideo.a

This is an imported module.
He cannot find them because there are no such files. SKVideo.o is part
of libsk.a

Why does the linking step need an object file with the same name as the
module?
When I work with C and gcc, it's completely up to me where the code is,
as long as I link it

I would do

gcc -c test.c -I../include
gcc -o test test.o -L../src/.libs -lsk -lSDL

or I could do

gcc -o test test.o SKVideo.o -lSDL

With gm2, only the second variant works. Is there a reason for this?
I find this behaviour more confusing hen helpfull. If he can't find the
referenced functions in the symbol table he tells me anyway with an
undefined reference error.

I asume this behaviour is the reason why the linking step needs the name
of the module file, not the name of the object like gcc.

Thanks,

--
Martin Kalbfuß <address@hidden>