Re: Bare metal Modula-2 on a Raspberry Pi-4 64 bit mode (Embedded aarch6

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: Bare metal Modula-2 on a Raspberry Pi-4 64 bit mode (Embedded aarch64)
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2021 17:04:12 +0100

Gaius Mulley <gaius.mulley@southwales.ac.uk> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I thought this might be of interest as a proof of concept to show gm2
> can now be built as a cross compiler (either targeting GNU/Linux or
> targeting bare metal).
>
>   http://floppsie.comp.glam.ac.uk/Southwales/gaius/web/bare-metal-m2.pdf
>   http://floppsie.comp.glam.ac.uk/Southwales/gaius/web/bare-metal-m2.html
>
> and
>
>   git clone https://github.com/gaiusm/m2-cross

I thought I'd post some more detail - about the cross compiler build
process.  It is using:

BINUTILS_VERSION=binutils-2.35.2
LINUX_KERNEL_VERSION=linux-5.10.46
GLIBC_VERSION=glibc-2.34

and the latest gcc-git development snapshot Modula-2 branch can be found
here:

  git clone git://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git gcc-git
  cd gcc-git
  git checkout devel/modula-2

When the buildm2 script is invoked (for linking the bare metal Modula-2
application) no glibc is used - but the default use of the cross
compiler will be to pull in the full libraries (glibc, libm2iso etc).