Re: [Gnash-dev] how to handle hash_map

From: Erik de Castro Lopo
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] how to handle hash_map
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 14:57:09 +1100

Rob Savoye wrote:

>    My past experiences with VC++ haven't been good. I noticed yesterday
> when I installed WINE that it now as a "wineg++" that uses mingw to
> produce console applications.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think winegcc/wineg++
generate Linux binaries from windows source code using the Wine
libraries to handle the win32 API calls.

If you want to generate windows bianries from linux, you need a
mingw cross compiler. On Debian and Ubuntu this is the following
packages:

    mingw32 - Minimalist GNU win32 (cross) compiler
    mingw32-binutils - Minimalist GNU win32 (cross) binutils
    mingw32-runtime - Minimalist GNU win32 (cross) runtime

> I'd much rather use this than VC++ if it'd
> work on a stock win32 system. I did manage to get VC++ (I had an old
> legal copy) to run via WINE from the existing Makefiles, which was
> interesting...

Yeah, but ist such a crappy compiler (especially for C code).
You might get better results by running the MinGW Msys shell and
assorted tools under Wine.

> But I think I prefer cross compiling using mingw.

I tried the cross compile path for my project, with the test suit
being run using Wine. Unfortunately this never quite worked right
and i didn't have the time or patience to pursue it.

Fortunately I have easy access to a windows machine with MinGW
and I can run MinGW and the test suite there and it all just
seems to work. *AND* VC++ can go to hel :-).

Cheers,
Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo
C++ is a siren song. It *looks* like a HLL in which you ought
to be able to write an application, but it really isn't."
-- Alain Picard (comp.lang.lisp)