Re: [Gnash-dev] snapshot release ? nasty bugs ?

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] snapshot release ? nasty bugs ?
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 08:16:33 -0700

John Gilmore wrote:

I suggest making it a "zero point" release, e.g. gnash-0.1.tar.bz2.

Currently gnash has an arbitrary version number, as GameSWF never used any. Figuring there was already a huge amount of work when I forked it, I started with 0.7. So I guess now it's time to pick a real version number.

I assume 1.0 is a fully functional v8+ compliant player, which is probably quite a ways down the road. At the same time. Gnash works reasonably well, so a 0.1 release seems a bit low. I'm tempted to do this release as 0.5 or 0.6.

The README and release notes and man page and documentation should
start off by being quite clear what popular things it DOESN'T do.
This will eliminate some fraction of the useless bug reports.

  For sure... although too many people don't appear to ever read docs...

If you can get someone from the Firefox team to look over the source
before release, they may catch a few obvious-to-them issues.

  I emailed them, we'll see what happens...

And having the RPM and Deb packagers send you whatever changes they
recommend NOW, as opposed to after, will help.

I've been making changes for package maintainers all along, so Gnash should be in good shape.