[Gnash-dev] Everybody talks about, but nobody is doing anything about it

From: Tomas Groth
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Everybody talks about, but nobody is doing anything about it
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 19:53:03 +0200 (CEST)

Hi all,

No, the subject on this email is not referring the weather, but to ever ongoing
talk about a new graphic rendering backend. (And somebody is actually doing
something, so don't be too offended.)

Gnash's only (working) renderer is at the moment based on OpenGL and
triangulating. This is fine if you have good 3d hardware, but if you're left
with software rendering of GL, you're pretty much out of luck. So Gnash needs
more backends, and the is a general agreement that a cairo based backed should
be one of (if not) the first to be implemented, since it itself can use
multiple backends. There is already a cairo backed, but it isn't really working
(that's what I've heard anyway).

So we need to get something done about it, but before we all update our CVS
code and start hacking away, we should get clear what should be done and how.
If I remember correctly the current implementation (both OpenGL and cairo)
triangulate the figure needed to be drawed, and then uses the respektive
backend to draw. IMHO it would be better if we changed the structure so that we
passed entire figures to the backends where possible (squares, cirkles, beizer
curves etc.), and only use triangulation when absolutly nessesary. This would
enable cairo to take advantage of it's backends, and other backend could do
what they can, etc.

If you have an opinion on this, let's hear it, and let's find out how we should
do this!

cheers,

Tomas