Re: [Gnash-dev] Questions about trapezoids, triangle stripper etc.

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Questions about trapezoids, triangle stripper etc.
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 18:43:26 +0200

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 06:23:32PM +0200, Udo Giacomozzi wrote:
> Hello strk,
>
> Monday, September 25, 2006, 5:53:43 PM, you wrote:
> s> .gsc files are the cache of a *parsed* SWF.
> s> Basically if you build the cache once you can
> s> load it later to speed up procesing.
>
> What's the real world benefit from that? Does the parsing take so much
> time?

That's a good question. I'd answer: (1) probably it takes too much  and
(2) I'm sure we can optimize it to take less.

> s> My current design problem with this is that for
> s> bitmap_info a renderer is required, so the cache
> s> is renderer-specific and cannot be created w/out
> s> a registered renderer.
>
> Because it depends on the pixel format? Shouldn't that be a cache
> object just like the mesh set? This would also mean that the bitmap is
> converted at play time, not parse time.

I dunno why, it's just the way it (doesn't) work now.
If it was something like the mesh set (ie: indipendent from renderer)
we'd likely have no problems keeping the cache in the definitions.