Re: Re[6]: [Gnash-dev] opengl->agg?

From: mark cox
Subject: Re: Re[6]: [Gnash-dev] opengl->agg?
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 09:51:01 +1000

>"We need to fix OpenGL, and stop ignoring it like a crippled thing just
>cause we all refuse to install proprietary drivers. We have to think
>beyond ourselves here."

Sorry for poking my nose in, but since gnash is an open project and most developers prefer working with AGG, why worry about thinking "beyond ourselves" and stick with AGG. If it looks good and it is easy to install, i don't see why users will care whether it is a bit slower or faster for certain things, they will be exstatic that they don't need to hunt around to install some proprietry thing. also doesn't the "g" in gnash mean gnu? gnu projects don't tend to worry about such things as being friendly to proprietry drivers do they?

an example:
Here is how i currently get youtube to work on my ubuntu x86_64.
1. follow some tutorial on ubuntu forums, to install a wrapper that will allow 32bit binary plugins to work on 64 bit.
2. download flash plugin.
3. manually copy files according to the forum post.
4. run firefox and accept that on occassion flash takes down the whole browser.

another example.
1. sudo apt-get install gnash.

If developers like AGG, i say go with agg. whatever the rendering engine, as long as i can apt-get i am gonna choose gnash over adobeflash.

just my 2c.

mark