Re: [Gnash-dev] Many of time spend on agg when render and rasterize

From: Udo Giacomozzi
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Many of time spend on agg when render and rasterize
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 09:49:08 +0200

Hello ligy8160,

Wednesday, October 10, 2007, 9:12:05 AM, you wrote:
l1c> From the results checked on PC, almost 80% of the time when play
l1c> movies are spent in rasterizering and rendering.

Sure. That is the hardest part (in terms of CPU usage) when rendering vector
graphics. You have to understand that Flash is a *vector* animation format and
is completely different from MPEG and similar video formats. A Flash player has
to *render* the scene in real time which much depends on *what* you see in the
movie.

So it's not a matter of RGB or YUV (except if you are playing a FLV video),
it's simply that your CPU hasn't enough horsepower to render your Flash movie
in real time. If we could make the AGG renderer faster, we would! But at the
moment we see no possibility to do that.

Your only possibility is to play simpler movies, some of them will play fine on
your CPU, but don't expect miracles.

Please teach yourself about vector graphics basics and the way Flash movies
work before continuing the discussion. Obviously you don't know what a Flash
player really has to do. Wikipedia, Google and the rest of Internet are your
friends.

It doesn't make sense to discuss about optimizations unless you really know
what's going on. Even with a 100% fixed point implementation of Gnash it won't
turn your CPU into a rocket.

Udo