Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] opengl and framebbufer

From: Udo Giacomozzi
Subject: Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] opengl and framebbufer
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 10:17:10 +0100

Hello Daniel,

DAM> The thing is that if we cannot use OpenGL then the application will run
DAM> a bit slow and we won't be able to use all the functionality that would
DAM> be interesting, and we could use a controller that has no OpenGL accel,
DAM> which is cheaper.

Of course OpenGL is faster than the software renderer. I currently see
three possibilities:

- use the normal GTK+OpenGL combination.
  advantage: easy to do
  disadvantage: you need a X server, which is suboptimal for an
    embedded device

- have the FB GUI support OpenGL
  advantage: minimal footprint, very interesting
  disadvantage: don't ask me how to do this. I guess there is no
    generic library for all graphic cards, but I could be wrong. Event
    handling in FB GUI is still very basic, especially regarding
    keyboard. And I still couldn't manage a clean switch to
    framebuffer graphics mode to get rid of text output. Apparently
    it works only with "root" user. :(

- implement a DirectFB GUI
  advantage: great support of graphic cards, great event handling,
    acceptable memory footprint, would be interesting for
    non-fullscreen mode too
  disadvantage: no work has been done yet for this

DAM> I have been trying gnash on my PC with GTK/AGG and with SDL/AGG, just to
DAM> start trying, and I have found that no fullscreen mode is provided in
DAM> the GUI, compared to FB which is fullscreen by definition.

DAM> is it possible to have fullscreen gnash using GTK?

I'm pretty sure it's relatively easy to have the GTK GUI start with a
frameless window. This can be probably done with a few lines. AFAIK
you can also create a frameless GTK Window and pass it's ID to Gnash
so it will display the movie there (used normally for browsers). Other
developers may know more about this.

DAM> Thanks for your help, I know I'm making too many questions.

I'd say this is a very interesting topic.

Udo