Re: [Gnash-dev] A modest proposal.

From: Hubert Figuiere
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] A modest proposal.
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 12:00:46 -0500

On Fri, 2008-02-08 at 10:25 +0100, Udo Giacomozzi wrote:
> Hum...
> You say that it is "backwards compatible with Adobe MM Flash" but it
> can be that only up to one version Flash, after which you split the
> "standards" in two and let Adobe develop new versions while BackLash
> is going it's own way... And Gnash should handle both?
> Seems problemantic to me.

I think that the real good thing with all of that is that Adobe official
bull^wreason for not allowing to use the Flash "spec" to make third
party players is to not fragment Flash. And actually by doing so they
actually cause the fragmentation.

That said I'd rather see an open standard being created with a mix of
SVG + SMIL + ECMAScript + Ogg (and the associated codecs) with a totally
independent implementation than trying to have one that is compatible
with a proprietary standard, keeping Gnash on one side and this new
standard on the other. (sharing code wouldn't be excluded, but only in
the form of shared libraries)

Just my $.02

Hub