Re: [Gnash-dev] configure arguments, --enable-media

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] configure arguments, --enable-media
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 13:17:33 -0700

Dmitry Marakasov wrote:

> I've started to adapt FreeBSD port of Gnash to current head in order to
> be ready for the new release, and I have a question about configure
> arguments.

  Actually, head should fine on FreeBSD, at least it did for me this
morning. :-) See my notes at:
http://wiki.gnashdev.org/wiki/index.php/Building_on_FreeBSD

> The main question currently is how does --enable-media work. It
> only supports gst or none, so where's ffmpeg and mad? Is gstreamer
> the only way now to allow both sound playback and support of video
> streams?  What do --enable-mad and --enable-gstreamer mean then?

  Those options have been depreciated, and replaced by
--enable-media=gst. Currently only GST works, ffmpeg should be fixed
shortly. The MAD support is no longer used directly, as there is MP3
support in both ffmpeg and gstreamer. MAD support was a leftover from
the dawn of time...

  I'm currently working on BSD packaging support, so I'd appreciate it
if you'd give me a hand there, since I already made Gnash build cleanly
for you. :-)

  Anyway, by default, use no configure options what so ever, and Gnash
typically builds for every system I've tried it on. Most of the config
options are more for porting and development. Often packagers get crazy
with supplying every config option to Gnash they can find, which often
leaves the result in odd states that may have never been tested together
explicitly. For examples of how to do it right, look in gnash/packaging.
Both the .deb and .rpm packaging support files mostly only set install
paths.