Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: Install locations for gnash plugins

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: Install locations for gnash plugins
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 21:46:53 +0100

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 12:38:07PM -0800, John Gilmore wrote:
> Here's a new attempt to hack at this Gordian knot.
>
> The standard convention for GNU programs is that "make install" should
> install things by default under /usr/local.
>
> That doesn't mean that the end-user is guaranteed that by doing so,
> they can just type the command "gnash" and have it run.  No, they'll
> probably need to adjust their $PATH, $MANPATH, $LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and
> such things to make /usr/local part of their execution environment.
> Doing that isn't our problem, though we can help the uninitiated, by
> documenting what our program needs to run in common shells.
>
> Let's do the same thing for the plugins!

+1

> If there's NO WAY at runtime to configure kde to use plugins stored
> /usr/local/lib or a similar location, then that's a bug in kde.  If
> there is such a way, then let's document it, install under /usr/local,
> and be done.

We haven't found a way yet:
http://wiki.gnashdev.org/wiki/index.php/Gnash_Tips#How_to_use_gnash_KPARTS_plugin

> If there's NO WAY at runtime to configure Firefox to use plugins
> stored under /usr/local, then that's a bug in Firefox.  If there IS
> such a way, then let's document it, install under /usr/local, and be
> done.

There is a way, using env variables:
http://wiki.gnashdev.org/wiki/index.php/Gnash_Tips#How_to_use_gnash_NPAPI_plugin

> (We can also ADD automation, like the nonstandard target
> "install-plugins", that would do additional helpful things.  I'd
> probably rename it to "install-homedir-plugins" to make it clear *where*
> it is installing these plugins.)

In that case we likely want two rules:
 install-homedir-plugins
 install-systemwide-plugins

But I also see this as an additional facility.