[Gnash-dev] Proposal: Bittorrent support for Gnash

From: Rene Bartsch
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Proposal: Bittorrent support for Gnash
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 05:08:21 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

I'm new to the list so a "Hello" to all :)

Being frustrated by a lot of multimedia content projects over the last
years (online video recorders, online movie libraries, ...) I realized
there are two major problems in content distribution. Either the content
provider uses a streaming system like flash which needs a hell of upstream
bandwith or a P2P system is used stressing the dumb user with complicated
configuration of P2P clients and additional media players. So, why not
just integrating all this into the browser with a proper set of default
settings?

That lead me to the idea of integrating Bittorrent (with support of
Distributed Hash Tables) into Adobe Flash. But Adobe is a commercial firm
with closed source which means getting contact with the developers for a
proposal will be complicated - and you can't trust binarys. That's why I
like GPL ;) So I've been reminiscent of an article of Gnash I've read.

To start playing while downloading each Bittorrent block could be
downloaded in a own thread. By increasing the thread priority the
beginning blocks would be available first with maximum utilization of the
bandwith available for Gnash. ;)

Adding Bittorrent support also would give Gnash a tactical advantage over
Adobe Flash. And why Bittorrent and no new P2P-protocol? Simply utilize
the swarms being already there ;)

Unfortunately my C++ skills are too bad to add Bittorrent support myself
but  I'll keep looking for a suitable C++ Bittorrent library ;)

Have phun with Gnash,

Renne