Re: [Gnash-dev] Proposal: Bittorrent support for Gnash

From: Russ Nelson
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Proposal: Bittorrent support for Gnash
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 10:14:33 -0400

Dossy Shiobara writes:
 > On 2008.03.17, Rene Bartsch <address@hidden> wrote:
 > > That lead me to the idea of integrating Bittorrent (with support of
 > > Distributed Hash Tables) into Adobe Flash.
 >
 > BitTorrent isn't suitable for realtime streaming of media.  You cannot
 > guarantee at the beginning that every block will be available by the
 > time you're ready to consume it.  This will result in a really poor user
 > experience.

Well, but when you're streaming through a TCP connection, you cannot
guarantee at the beginning that every block will be available by the
time you're ready to consume it.  The biggest difference between TCP
and BitTorrent is that TCP delivers data in the same order you sent
it, which is the order in which the user wants it, whereas BitTorrent
delivers in random order, so you potentially have to wait until the
very end of reception.  Then again, people's typical response to
insufficient bandwidth (slow delivery) is to click on pause until the
entire stream has been received.

--
--my blog is at    http://blog.russnelson.com   | Software that needs
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | documentation is software