Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash 0.8.2 on OLPC XO?

From: Dossy Shiobara
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash 0.8.2 on OLPC XO?
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 20:54:25 -0400

On 2008.04.05, Rob Savoye <address@hidden> wrote:
> Russ Nelson wrote:
>
> > We could do that if we held the copyright.  License to the public
> > using the GPL, and license with a royalty taken and paid with
> > proprietary codecs.
>
>   Which isn't something I'm inclined to do, and I doubt the license
> holders would either.

Why is it necessary to hold the copyright?  You'd only need license from
the patent holders for encumbered algorithms.  The source you compile
and distribute in binary form, as long as it allows the distribution of
binaries, as long as it's a free (libre) license, can't stop you, as
long as you publish any modifications to the source that were involved
in producing those binaries.

-- Dossy

--
Dossy Shiobara              | address@hidden | http://dossy.org/