Re: [Gnash-dev] install vs install-plugins && klash

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] install vs install-plugins && klash
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 18:16:53 +0200

strk wrote:

Yes, for the short term.
For the long term, since I don't agree on the default install dir,
I'd require a specific ./configure switch to enable install of the plugins
(ie: no default, only installed if you pick an install among prefix|system|user)

If you research how other KDE applications install their files, the current way, installing in $HOME/.kde *is* the correct way for end users trying to get a working Kparts plugin. The only person that would want to install in the system directories is root. To do this now does require multiple configure options to Gnash, so having a single option to override the default to make this easier for package maintainers (--enable-kparts-system) is fine.

Installing the plugins in $prefix is completely wrong, as neither the NPPAI nor the KParts style plugins will actually load that way. We could install the plugins parts in $prefix, but we'd still be stuck making symbolic links to either $HOME/.kde or system directories to make the plugins actually work.