Re: [Gnash-dev] no Gnash for iPhone

From: Steve Castellotti
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] no Gnash for iPhone
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 17:58:31 -0700

On Sun, 2008-08-17 at 16:47 -0700, John Gilmore wrote:
The FSF Community blog has some info about GPL'd software and the i-moan:

http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/why-free-software-and-apples-iphone-dont-mix
http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/5-reasons-to-avoid-iphone-3g
http://www.fsf.org/news/iphone-is-incompatible-with-free-software

If the existence of gnash on the iPhone would even sell one more
iPhone, I would disrecommend doing the port.

    There is always of course the flip side to this line of thought.

    If Gnash is released for jailbroken iPhones as its sole target (source made available, distribution via APT, and so forth) and it causes one more existing iPhone user to learn about (perhaps even to employ) FOSS software, learn why having control over their own computing device is preferable, and to understand the artificial restrictions Apple is placing, would the argument be any different?

    Personally, I like seeing FOSS software spread around, even onto proprietary platforms (for example I use the GIMP, GQview, Firefox, Open Office, and similar software packages under Windows frequently). Yes, the AppStore's DRM is incomparable with GPL v3 (and possibly other versions) licensed software, but I don't believe there is any issue specifically regards jailbroken iPhones which use an entirely different means of distribution.

    Of course, that is only my opinion and I completely respect anyone else's position!

Cheers

Steve