Re: [Gnash-dev] drawVideoFrame

From: Benjamin Wolsey
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] drawVideoFrame
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 11:19:46 +0200

0.8.3 is the last release, but not current. As I said, use current
sources from bzr trunk.

bzr branch http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/gnash/trunk

Then you won't be looking at code that was superseded several weeks ago.

> What I don't understand is why video playback has to be controlled by
> gnash on frame granularity. It would be far better to treat the a/v
> decoder as a standalone entity with create, destroy, configure, play,
> pause, stop, query etc' methods. Configure methods can connect this
> decoder entity with the NetStream/DiskStream on the one side and with
> the renderer/GUI on the other. Of course clip and transform changes
> must be propagated to the video decoder (or more precisely to a video
> compositor entity). Frame based control should only be done if it is
> required - for instance I don't know the flash spec that well but if
> videos can be embedded in such a way that they need to be synced with
> the rest of the graphics to frame-accuracy (and not timestamp
> accuracy) current style sync is necessary.

Looking at some Flash specs might save you some time too. There is
plenty of information, as well as pointers to further reading on
wiki.gnashdev.org. It would, for instance, explain why we use
frame-based control: embedded video and graphics need to be
synchronized. Most objects in Flash need to be able to work predictably
together. Frames are the most powerful element of timeline control.

bwy