Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: About AMF (Techical)

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: About AMF (Techical)
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 12:40:33 -0600

strk wrote:
On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 12:16:40PM -0400, Jason Woofenden wrote:

This is not the standard type. In fact in all my experience with
NetConnection.call connecting to the openstreetmap.org server, the Object type
is not used at all.

openstreetmap.org is a simple user of remoting. Video streaming via RTMP, as well as things like video conferencing are much more complex. What we want is a solution that supports all the cases, and not just the limited usage openstreetmap.org uses. Please think of the bigger picture, and not just the one use case in front of your face.

  RTMP uses complex AMF Objects heavily, not just simple arrays.

I figured. Indeed I had to add decoding support for one kind of object
(the ECMA_ARRAY thing) for FLV.

Which of course already existed in libamf, and is already used by flvdumper.

As for a status report, the users of as_value::readAMF0 so far are:

Is this some kind of silly competition ? One thing I'll note is that readAMF0 is totally lacking in test cases, where libamf has many. libamf is used by the soldumper, flvdumper, dumpmem, and rtmpget utilities, plus currently both SharedObject and LocalConnection also use libamf.

        - NetConnection (remoting)
        - FLVParser (libmedia for NetStream)
Candidate other users:
        - SharedObject

Don't forget LocalConnection, and RTMP. Both also use AMF. If you seriously intend to completely ignore libamf, then you'd better fix the RTMP support, all the testcases, and the utilities to use readAMF0. Otherwise you'll never know if readAMF0 and SimpleBuffer are sufficient to handle RTMP. If you don't intend to fix all of this existing infrastructure, then I suggest not doing anything at all, and waiting till I get around to doing it the right way.