Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: Gnash + OLPC

From: Benjamin Wolsey
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: Gnash + OLPC
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 17:47:35 +0200

> The term "OLPC project members" from Ben's post:
> "But how can the answer then be for OLPC project members to recommend
> installation of a proprietary player that has MP3 and FLV codecs (and
> various others) built in?!"
> needs to be qualified.

It wasn't aimed at you particularly.

> 2) We are not OLPC core members and do not speak for 1CC. We're just
> speaking from independent volunteer perspectives.

Sure, Free Software is full of loose affiliations, where individuals
don't necessarily speak for everyone involved. Gnash is another one of
them, and my opinions aren't the opinions of Gnash either.

Anyway, my point is that I would love to help with getting your flash
content working in Gnash. If you must use AVM2, it will have to wait
until we have any sort of AVM2 support. Problems with SWF8 or below can
be fixed now, especially with your help.

The shortcomings of Gnash on the OLPC are generally beyond our control,
not least because the version they use is almost always out of date by
the time it's released, and of course with all the codec issues. All we
can do is continue developing and hope to get support from Flash coders
with fixing bugs.

bwy