Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash packages for Fedora / OLPC

From: John Gilmore
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash packages for Fedora / OLPC
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 00:52:08 -0700

> > Patrice, could you also rebuild this package for fc6, f7, and f8?
>
> Infrastructure is closed for f6 and f7 (and a request I made to leave
> EOL branches open in the future was rejected), and I'd like to avoid
> changing f8 at this point, first because it will be EOL very soon,
> because kde version changed and it would not be a simple copy of the f9
> branch, and lastly because I want to avoid touching f8, in my opinion an
> old gnash is preferrable to changing f8 now, unless there is a security
> issue. In fact f8 is still at 0.8.2. Now if you really want an update of
> gnash in the f8 branch, I accept patches and would agree to rebuild it
> if you have tested it on F-8.

I wasn't asking you to update F8 for all the end users.  I was asking
for an F8 (6, 7, ...) binary package of gnash-0.8.4 that we can put at
getgnash.org.

Check the collection there -- it's quite motley.

It seems like whatever Fedora was popular when a release was made, got
a binary package; and no future releases were ever ported to that
Fedora.  No problem -- if you want a newer gnash, just upgrade your
entire operating system!!!  That is, if a few days or weeks of
miscellaneous sysadmin problems aren't too much trouble for you.

        John