Re: [Gnash-dev] NetConnection URI and .connect

From: Benjamin Wolsey
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] NetConnection URI and .connect
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 17:40:27 +0100

Am Samstag, den 13.12.2008, 17:25 +0100 schrieb Sandro Santilli:
> Better discuss this here.
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Sandro Santilli <address@hidden> -----
>
> Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 17:24:37 +0100
> From: Sandro Santilli <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: [Gnash-commit] /srv/bzr/gnash/trunk r10414: Move stream creation
> logic from NetStream to NetConnection (will be useful
> To: Benjamin Wolsey <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> Oh, hold on a sec.
> For remoting, that URI is used to postpone actual connection
> to NetConnection.call() time.
>
> The way potlatch works is:
>
>       nc = new NetConnection();
>       nc.connect("http://xxxxxyyy";);
>       nc.call("xxy");
>
> Gnash triggers nc.onStatus with a failure status code
> corrently when NetConnection.connect() is passed an URL.
> Potlatch doesn't fail due to the fact that onStatus
> is assigned *after* the .connect call, so Gnash doesn't find it
> (by luck then).
>
> So:
>
>  1) we shouldn't send a failure message on .connect, unless
>     something else happens, maybe malformed url ?
>  2) we shouldn't send onStatus immediately, but delegate it
>     to someone else (eventual network thread for rtmp or processing
>     of queued calls for remoting).

Well, don't jump the gun here. It may be that potlatch quite
intentionally doesn't assign onStatus until after connect() just to
avoid this issue.

In any case, the tests I added to NetConnection recently show that the
onStatus event is sent immediately on the attempted http connections
tested there. There may be other criteria involved in determining what
status to send, but as an http connection is never attempted, I'm not
sure what they could be.

bwy

--
Use Gnash, the GNU Flash Player!