Re: [Gnash-dev] Operational problem

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Operational problem
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 09:13:43 -0700

Willy Gommel wrote:

> I first realized that I was getting no sound via any Flash file about a month
> ago. At first I tried enlisting the tech support of Adobe, which proved
> ineffective. Now, I need to try you.

  Just to ask, is this a problem with the Adobe player or Gnash ? :-)
Various versions of the Adobe player had issues with PulseAudio, which
is now the default for most distributions.

> somethnig in the Flash player itself which, of course, will not reinstall on
> my AMD64 machine. So one of their techs conveniently pointed me to a page
> where your own efforts are located -- so here I am!

  Which page did they point you to ? Funny...

> softare installs and works, so far as I know -- at least the test file I have
> been using displays the silent video, as did the Adobe product.

  Which version of Gnash on which distribution ? Did you build Gnash
from source, or use a package ?

> So my question is simple: What might I have missed in, e.g., the kernel
> set-up? How can I get my sound card to actually deliver PCM sound to the
> speakers from a Flash file?

  Flash audio is MP3, so for Gnash, you probably need to install ffmpeg
or the ffmpeg-gstreamer plugin, which is where the codec support code lives.

  So you've tested your machine, and you can play MP3 music with xmms or
rhythmbox or whatever ? When using Gnash, does the right click menu show
that sound is enabled or disabled ?