Re: [Gnash-dev] Interesting swf application (musical theory)

From: Benjamin Wolsey
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Interesting swf application (musical theory)
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 10:04:26 +0100

Am Samstag, den 10.01.2009, 00:47 +0100 schrieb strk:
> On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 12:09:15AM +0100, strk wrote:
>
> > For example the first lesson (Staff, Clef and Ledger Lines) is available
> >   as SWF4: http://www.musictheory.net/legacy/html/id10.html
> >  and SWF6: http://www.musictheory.net/lessons/html/id10_en.html
> >
> > Gnash fails at playing the SWF6, succeeds with the SWF4.
>
> The failure is due to XML::load function refusing to work
> for an object which is not strictly a LoadableObject type.
> In the SWF6 case above, a LessonLoader AS class is created
> to derive from XML, and .load() is called on it.
>
> IIRC all XML.load does is loading the whole resource into
> a string and calling this.onData, so there should really
> be nothing requiring strict typing.
>

> I think it would be useful to move the LoadableObject functionality
> into a service exposed by movie_root. A service that loads something
> and calls onData on the passed object when done.

What do you mean by LoadableObject functionality? The actual loading
could well be handled by movie_root, as the Timer and threading method
is hopelessly wrong (as well as ugly) - events are wrongly timed at the
moment and impossible to control as needed. A failed load, for instance,
should not be signalled immediately, and there *are* movies that rely on
this (including our LoadVars test in misc-ming.all). I think we still
set the loaded property to true even when the load fails, but the whole
thing is so broken that I've never bothered changing it.

LoadableObject itself just represents an abstraction of XML and
LoadVars, and aside from removing the typing from load() (and any other
methods that are tested to be generally applicable), I don't see what
needs to change.

bwy

--
Free Flash, use Gnash