[Gnash-dev] profiling and performance

From: Steve Castellotti
Subject: [Gnash-dev] profiling and performance
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 11:50:19 +1300

    Can anyone please provides tips and procedures for producing animated SWFs which will have the best possible performance under Gnash?

    I am familiar with how to determine if a given feature or ActionScript command is not supported by Gnash at all, but after producing a series of SWFs using very similar methods and types of animations, I'm seeing a wide disparity between the actual performance of each when displayed. Mostly I'm just trying to load some images and fonts onto the stage and have them move, scroll, and scale around.

    Currently I seem to have the best luck making certain to export the SWF for a Flash 7 Player, which by default should restrict the SWF to the functions for which Gnash has the best support. Still I am seeing performance around 25-33% slower than Adobe Flash Player for the same SWF, and as I've said some SWFs simply seem to play better than others under Gnash even when using the same or similar types of animations.

    At this point I'm not concerned with video performance at all, just animations.

    So my question becomes, how can I best investigate where bottlenecks may be occuring and fix them in the SWF?

    Is there a particular rendering engine for Gnash which is known to have better performance than others - AGG, OpenGL, or something else?

    Are there any means of controlling Gnash itself during play time to improve performance or maintaining duration a SWF is played (dropping frames for example)? Currently if Gnash plays a SWF slower than Adobe Flash it will run longer too.

    I've found this link for compiling Gnash to be compatible with gprof, but won't that be more useful to Gnash development itself as opposed to SWF development? Its pretty sparse on details: http://wiki.gnashdev.org/Profiling

    Any help or pointers to appropriate material would be appreciated.

Cheers

Steve Castellotti