Re: [Gnash-dev] Video streaming: manually specify codec

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Video streaming: manually specify codec
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 21:02:08 +0200

On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 04:25:34PM +0200, Udo Giacomozzi wrote:

> s> I'm not a media expert, but I've seen at least ffmpeg threating
> s> formats differently from codecs.
>
> Is "format" a synonym for "container" ?

Probably. It's something you need a "demuxer" to open ...

> s> For formats, AS doesn't let you specify anything because it only
> s> supports FLV. Or am I missing something ?
>
> Not true, you can easily show MPEG streams not embedded in a FLV
> container using NetStream:
>
> ---- AS CODE -----------------------------------------------------
> url = /* any URL to a .MPG file or similar */;
>
> var connection_nc:NetConnection = new NetConnection();
> connection_nc.connect(null);
> var stream_ns:NetStream = new NetStream(connection_nc);
> video.attachVideo(stream_ns);
>
> stream_ns.play(url);
> ---- AS CODE -----------------------------------------------------
>
> In the case of a .mpg file, Gnash/Ffmpeg will correctly detect the
> container/format/codec. I guess this applies to a lot more formats.

I'm aware about this "feature" for Gnash (we designed it that way)
but wasn't aware about the Adobe player allowing it.

> Probably there is simply no auto-detection for mjpeg available (or why
> would the command line tool fail?).

Again, I suggest you ask ffmpeg developers about the "why".
Maybe it could be fixed in ffmpeg so gnash would just work.

--strk;

 Free GIS & Flash consultant/developer      ()  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 http://foo.keybit.net/~strk/services.html  /\  Keep it simple!