Re: [Gnash-dev] bug 24472

From: Benjamin Wolsey
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] bug 24472
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 09:49:03 +0200

>    We've all been working hard since the 0.8.5 release on AVM2 and
> better ActionScript 2/3 support. You'd need to test with trunk and
> configure with --enable-avm2, although I think it's time to make this
> the default. (--disable-avm2 would work).

I don't think it's the time to make it the default until it has a chance
of working usefully. At the moment it doesn't, and it won't until I've
fixed some fundamental bugs, which depends on separating the AS objects
for the two VMs properly, which is more or less related to the VM
reentrancy work.

Testing with AVM2 enabled and reporting crashes is helpful for making
the code more robust. Implementing AVM2 itself needs you to find (or
preferably make) simple movies and look through the masses of AVM2
logging that Gnash produces to find where the bugs are. It takes a while
to get used to it, but isn't really difficult.

--
Free Flash, use Gnash
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/

Benjamin Wolsey, Software Developer - http://benjaminwolsey.de