Re: [Gnash-dev] VDPAU Support

From: John Gilmore
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] VDPAU Support
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 15:04:09 -0700

> You've probably already received suggestions for VDPAU support, but I'll
> suggest it again anyways.  VDPAU is a technology that Adobe has not
> implemented into their flash products yet.  If GNASH were to add support
> for VDPAU, then it would hold a significant performance advantage over
> Adobe's offering on systems that support VDPAU.

It looks like VDPAU is:

  *  Designed for NVIDIA products, and barely supported elsewhere
     (and not even supported on all NVIDIA products)
  *  Only implemented by proprietary software for proprietary chips
  *  Designed for playing video

In short, VDPAU is NVIDIA's attempt to sugar-coat its refusal to
release free-software drivers for its hardware.

Gnash isn't targeted at NVIDIA products, and prefers to use complete
free software interfaces and solutions.  Gnash also doesn't play
video (it calls other libraries to play video (Gstreamer and FFmpeg)).
I suggest looking elsewhere.

        John