Re: [Gnash-dev] Stuttering Playback due to Blocking Reads

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Stuttering Playback due to Blocking Reads
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 12:22:13 +0200

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 03:03:48AM -0700, John Gilmore wrote:

> I'm surprised that we're still parsing Flash (ActionScript?  Or just
> Shockwave-Flash style timelines?) while video is arriving.  I'd have
> figured that before the interpreter calls for video to start, it's
> already been read in and parsed.

We're talking about videos which may be hours and Gb long so can't
wait to parse them all before starting playback.

There's a user (swf-publisher) configuration for "how much to buffer"
which is expressed in time (seconds or milliseconds, can't remember).

Playback blockage may be due to several reasons, originating from one
of these two:

        1) buffer is below the user-specified trashold
        2) gnash main thread itself is blocked

In the first case the YouTube player gives final user feedback by
mean of a rotating widget and you can see in the intense red progress
bar how much buffer is available ahead of the playback position.
In the second case you should be unable to even open the right-click
menu.  Which behaviour did you notice ?

--strk;

 Free GIS & Flash consultant/developer      ()  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 http://foo.keybit.net/~strk/services.html  /\  Keep it simple!